Saturday, November 20, 2010

Optimising the performance of NetBeans on Ubuntu

NetBeans freaked me out when I installed it on Ubuntu. Every task I wanted to perform was super-slow.
Our development server is Ubuntu and each team member had to work and commit their codes through subversion. I had to work in Ubuntu since subversion in NetBeans on Windows means permission had to be granted to my ip address, I had to be granted read-write access on the development server. Ubuntu was already configured for development.
I had downloaded and installed the full package for NetBeans 6.9.1. I thought the full package was the issue so I uninstalled it, downloaded and installed only the PHP support distribution. I was still slow. I decided to use Eclipse instead and it worked fine. I still didn't enjoy Eclipse because code coloring in Eclipse is based on the file format not the code content of the file. I mean if a file contains PHP codes and it has a .mo extension Eclipse will not code color the content but my good old friend NetBeans will.
Note that I am not here to hail NetBeans over Eclipse. I always hate right-clicking textfields and text areas in NetBeans since no cut-copy-paste-undo ... pop up menu will appear but Eclipse is cool in that respect.
I hated watching black colored codes in Eclipse. I searched online and got how to improve thte performance of NetBeans in Ubuntu on this blog. http://blogs.codereamer.com/?p=22. After I followed the instructions NetBeans run fast like crazy. I was glad I could see the codes being colored and my work was fast for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment